Career Real Talk for Researchers
Online conference in June 2022 on career development in German academia and beyond organised by the German Scholars' Organisation. Click on the link and scroll down for recordings of the sessions and other resources.
Diversity in STEM Postdoc Evening
Diversity in STEM (formerly known as "Women in STEM Postdocs") is an informal peer mentoring group open to all postdocs specialising in STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) topics in Freiburg. We meet several times a year to share food and drinks. Registration through an official email account is required. Each gathering is limited to 12 participants. Unless permission is given, all conversations are confidential.
Contacts: Dr. Katharina Lischka <katharina.lischka(at)biologie.uni-freiburg.de> (Postdoc, Biology I) or Dr. Tuan Leng Tay <tuan.leng.tay(at)biologie.uni-freiburg.de> (Group Leader, Faculty of Biology, until October 2021)
Next event: to be announced
To be announced.
Other topics are also welcome.
Topics at past events:
Friday, 5th March 2021
- Application to grants and faculty positions as early career researchers (Germany & N. America).
Friday, 6th November 2020
- Early Career Researchers in Corona times.
Friday, 17th April 2020
- job application and interview process for faculty positions
- academic careers in Germany, USA, Canada, Russia, Israel and Italy
Friday, 7th February 2020
with guest scientist Prof. Annegret Wilde
(Molecular Genetics of Prokaryotes Lab; FRIAS Director for Natural & Life Sciences)
- mindset for an academic career
- work-life balance
- people management
Friday, 13th December 2019
- coaching and career planning
- starting grants
- lab management
Thursday, 19th September 2019
- Family and Science
- What to do after a first postdoc
- How to start your own lab after being a postdoc
Friday, 5th July 2019
- mentoring and coaching programmes for postdocs
- postdoc fellowship and grant applications
Friday, 1st March 2019
- time management / prioritisation
- receiving mentorship
Training in Scientific Management, Communication and Career Advancement
Data Management & IT Security Workshop (Lab edition)
- RCR (Responsible Conduct of Research) compliant data handling, storage and backup
- Managing team and own (large) data
- Safe management of multiple logins and passwords
- 1 hour, 19th September 2022
Time Management Workshop – a condensed version for those short on time!
- hands-on session, practical tools that are immediately applicable to any schedules
- for research assistants, undergraduate and graduate students
- 1.5 hours, 27th May 2022
Summer Writing Clinic
- for graduate students and postdocs
- writing projects: original research article, review article, research statement, dissertation, project proposal
- 6 weeks, 28th June – 2nd August 2021 (via Zoom)
Career pathways – a seminar with graduates for graduands (organised by Matteo Petrich)
- for undergraduate and graduate students, postdocs and early career scientists
- 3 and 9 March 2021 (via Zoom)
Time Management Workshop
Scientific Communication Workshop
Career Planning & Negotiations Workshop
- for graduate students, postdocs and research assistants
- 21-23 May 2020 (via Zoom)
Scientific Writing Workshop
- for MSc and PhD students
- Saturday, 18th January 2020
Coffee and Career: CV Writing (with Dr. Julia Michael, Academic Coordinator for FRS postdoc programme)
- Friday, 11th October 2019
Project Management and Team-building
- for students, postdocs and research assistants
- Friday, 6th and Saturday, 7th September 2019
CV Writing Workshop
- for students and postdocs of the University of Freiburg
- Saturday, 27th April 2019
CyberMentor – Die Online-MINT-Plattform nur für Mädchen!
Online mentoring programme for high school female pupils by volunteer mentors from STEM fields in higher institutions of learning and the industry.